Blog | a New Life in the Sea

Thumbnail for 9546

Since 2008, this Blog has been a communications priority providing shorts, op-eds, and bramblings that communicate our evolution to ‘a new life in the sea’.

Browse recent posts to the right or navigate through our major themes below.

Contact us for content syndication opportunities. Dive in & enjoy!

Primary Themes from our Blog

Helmet/Hooded Non Invasive Ventilation | Webinar with The Health Bank

I am very pleased to share the webinar recording for ‘Helmet/Hooded Non Invasive Ventilation hosted by The Health Bank’ on 6/15/2020. The use of non-invasive ventilation (NIV) via helmet is an alternative solution to more invasive endotracheal intubation, and an effective way to treat Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome and patients with COVID-19. This has potential to free up ICU beds and effectively treat significantly more people than with conventional ventilators. The webinar presenters included Dr. Bhakti Patel (University of Chicago), Aurika Saivakte (, Dr. Naeem Lughmani (The Toledo Clinic), and myself. For more about this progressive and hugely impactful treatment technology, visit  

Helmet Non Invasive Ventilation (NIV) | Configuring a Feature Rich Respiratory Circuit

Albeit very new in the US, helmet based ventilation is a growing interest within the medical community, and its simplicity and modularity are allowing use configurations in resource limited settings that enable significant reductions in ventilator demands. We are now seeing helmet NIV driven with wall-gas titration, driven with BiPAP, driven with modified CPAP, and even other novel and emerging device developments. As we’ve moved along in advancing the Subsalve Oxygen Treatment Hood, two distinct hood development paths have been observed – those that are themselves quite simple, and others that are feature rich. There are of course risks and benefits to each development path. Interestingly, we see this same development path divergence in diving technology. I tend to lean on the simplicity side, though that does not mean that there is any less functional performance, nor does it mean that risks [be them real or perceived] cannot be mitigated....
Read More

Helmets breathe new life into the Covid-19 battle

The Covid-19 virus has shaken the world. But it has also inspired both entrepreneurs and physicians into re-thinking practices. One key area is ventilation and here we discover how a start-up initiative is driving innovation in an overlooked treatment method. (read more) from: Filtration & Separation May 27, 2020 To learn more, visit  

Rhode Island companies are creating a device aimed at keeping people off ventilators

Rhode Island companies are creating a device aimed at keeping people off ventilators  by LYNZI DELUCCIA, NBC 10 NEWS Wednesday, May 6th 2020 (WJAR) — Underwater technology companies in Rhode Island are teaming up, combining their skills to create breathing bubbles they hope can keep people off ventilators during this COIVD-19 pandemic. “We make about 200 to 300 a day,” Richard Fryburg told NBC10. Hundreds of clear helmets line the shelves inside his Subsalve factory in Quonset with an assembly line of dozens of workers, putting the pieces together. (read more…) Learn more at  

Reducing the Need for Ventilators Altogether | Oxygen Treatment Hoods

Did the ventilator shortage frenzy go away? Perhaps, or perhaps not – it may be that the important part to the Covid-19 equation is reducing the need for ventilators altogether – and that is starting to go noticed. The need for intubation and ventilator use comes with massive challenges, many of which are equally as complicated as sourcing large numbers of ventilators to begin with. For instance, a vent is a sophisticated piece of equipment that requires both training and appropriate staffing levels. These are two items in the enormous pressure pot here in the United States, and in many parts of the world are substantially impractical. The very unfortunate reality is that once on a ventilator, due to Covid-19 you only have a 20% chance of getting off of a ventilator. (Ref 1) That means 80% mortality for this type of treatment, which are not very good odds. Couple...
Read More

Oxygen Treatment Hoods | a Gift from the Sea

With over 20 years of diving behind me, the one absolute I’ve come to appreciate is that sea has and will continue to reveal many, many gifts for humanity. The ocean gives us all so much, whether immediately on our horizons or not – it truly is the lifeblood of our planet. The ocean provides a source for recreation, food, trade route for commerce, a source for natural resources, new medicines, carbon sequestration, oxygen, and…pressure. It should be no surprise that divers are the best and most prolific voices for the ocean – when we are immersed within it, we have a very personal and intimate experience with parts of our planet that the vast majority still have not yet experienced. It’s not just seeing things – marine life, beautiful geology – but also experiencing immersion in the vastness that is the bulk of our planet. Being immersed, means being...
Read More

Life Systems Innovations during Covid-19 | Words of Wisdom from a Dummy Diver

The last three weeks have been among the most fast paced in my career, and wanted to take a breather to share what has been highly repeat [free] advice to several groups and individuals who have reached out for sake of not having to continue to repeat these things. First I’ll set the tone – we are amidst very serious times. People need to be kept alive, and it has very unfortunately come down to the great potential of makeshift solutions. This holds true both in modifying and/or creating new ventilators, and in exposure protection for those on the front lines. Serious, serious stuff. I think it is incredibly exciting to see so many groups coming together to address these issues, but have been continually amazed at how infrequently these groups have someone involved that is expert in life systems engineering, integration, or operations. Why am I being contacted? Good...
Read More

a case for oxygen-only rebreathers in our past, present, and future

Some legs of the journey are predictable, and others just aren’t. I first got the deep diving bug almost 20 years ago, and at that time (circa start of the 21st century) deep diving for the masses meant suffering through nitrogen narcosis, and severely limited bottom times given only open-circuit tech being in the mainstream. For the fortunate few who were ahead of the game, helium was accessible, though far from commonplace. Even further from the day to day was the use of mixed-gas rebreathers. Sure, there were a few early adopters, and those more elite individuals and groups just starting to push the limits of this technology, but they were far from commonplace. At that time, those very few out there doing exploration with rebreathers were able to very easily generate a public appeal for the technology given their solving the two aforementioned issues with deep diving – narcosis...
Read More

10Bar mask with flip frame | a review

Living through years and perhaps decades of stagnation in any real innovation coming out of the underwater world, what’s become increasingly clear is that progress may best be made with the little things – after all, the devil’s in the details and it’s those details that we are all striving to perfect to improve our interaction with and within the sea. I’m one to make an incremental change or adjustment on every dive – be it as an experiment, or an evolution towards an improved configuration or tool set. When many of us make these types of incremental changes in parallel, it can be difficult to arrive at anything standardized and the result is overwhelming confusion with mixed bags of parts and pieces. This is true of accessory items, right on up through full life support systems. Like does tend to find like however, and so I was fortunate to...
Read More

Donate Today!

Donate today to help us continue to bring you fresh Blog content!

Donate Today!